Hanoi’s climate from January to March creates the ideal conditions for mold to thrive in our homes. Here’s how to beat it:
To remove mold from surfaces:
- Spray with white vinegar. No need to scrub!
- Wipe down surfaces with tea tree oil (1 teaspoon of oil to 1 cup of water)
- Bleach & water – simply spray & scrub
Keeping the smell away:
- Wipe down surfaces with pure eucalyptus oil and a damp cloth
- Invest in a dehumidifier – money well spent. If you can afford a more expensive model, buy it – apparently the cheaper models don’t last nearly as long
- Open a box of baking soda – it will absorb the stinky smell of mold. You can also use charcoal briquettes, which are easy to buy in Hanoi
- Throw out paper and cardboard that has been lying around your house. Paper stores horrible smells for years & years.